Killer Combo for Home Business — Mic, Tripod, Lights, Stand
Many people ask me what they should get for their home business in terms of “professional” lighting, tripod, stand, when using your iPhone to shoot.
- First, you want a nice tripod. This stand can be positioned really high, to give you all the angles you might want. We’ve had cheap tripods before…not worth it. Get this tripod. It’s the best I’ve ever used. Absolutely worth every penny: Manfrotto MK290XTA3-BHUS 290 Xtra Ball Head Kit (Black)
- Second, you want a NICE microphone. The mic on your phone will do, but picking up a Rode shotgun mic will make a massive difference. A shot gun mic captures sound in a “shot gun” type pattern. Which means it helps amp your voice and cut down on surrounding noise. Invest in this one. It’s the best: Rode VideoMicro Compact On-Camera Microphone with Rycote Lyre Shock Mount
- Third, get this flash bender. NOTE: It does not “fit” on this set-up. You have to rig it. But you do want nice lighting (not too bright and definitely not dark), especially if you tend to shoot in a darker room or at night. Natural lighting is best, but many don’t have that.
- This is probably my favorite piece. This shoulder pod is incredible. It attaches to the other pieces above and to the tripod — but can easily be removed if you want to transport it easily and shoot while walking, cooking, demonstrating how to blend your essential oils or other items.
- Lastly, I love this laptop stand. I can have my mic / tripod set up right next to it, and refer to my laptop for notes, etc.